Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

Martha Moment

Is moving into a house 7 months ago and still not fully unpacked a bad thing? Or does it just show that I may not need everything I have? Or that I want to be organized and make sure everything has a place? I hope it's not bad and I think it could be a both some things unneeded and some things I just wanted to get the right place set up for it. When I first moved in I originally wanted to get the house ready- clean, paint, pull up carpet, then unpack. But life happened and I was never able to do what I planned. I had to just live in my unfinished (cosmetic, not structural or anything unlivable) house. I've been working like crazy to just unpack and settle in a half primed and painted 2 different color for sampling living room. I think I need a week off to get this house done (minus painting, I don't like painting in the winter), but I will work on it little by little with the free time after work. As I was working on it today, a thought came to me. Am I too busy thinking and working on my house when I should be thinking and working on my heart? I do spend a lot of time on pinterest getting ideas for my house, thinking about decorating and furniture placement, and cleaning and unpacking. So much time i've been neglecting other things.

Psalms 37:4 says- "Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." and Philippians 4:8 says- Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Houndstooth and Damask are lovely... oh and a pink couch is something I kinda desire. But these aren't the things I should be obsessing thinking about. I was reminded of the story of Mary and Martha found in Luke 10:38-42: As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”  “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” I'm so caught up in my house, my problems, and just daily life stuff that I lost the opportunity to spend more time with God, think about Him and what's on His heart for the day, to pray more for what's on God's heart.

To be honest, i'm not the best at setting aside time for that. I spend my entire day taking little moments to talk to God or read a verse, but not a good amount of time. I'm letting life distract me from being at Jesus' feet. I'm being more like Martha in this case. I need to let some stuff go and realize what is truly important- spending time in God's 
presence.
And once I let go, things will get better, I will feel better. I need Him more than anything, more than a pink and navy blue room. When it comes down to it, not much matters except God and people. God loves us and cares about what we care about. And He is totally cool with that lamp from Target, or the table from Ikea. The desire for my house to be a home and nicely decorated is one that God is ok with. Just look at Solomon's place (well read about). God's ok with nice things. He wants us to have the best, but more importantly He wants us to be the best.
I encourage you, I don't know what things you have going on in your lives, take time for the things that matter most. Do what makes you happy (or buy, with in your budget :), what makes you happy (a nicer tv)) and most importantly do what makes God happy- love Him and love others.

No comments:

Post a Comment